Region profile: Mid West
Explore all the richness that the Mid West has to offer.
The Mid West region is an idyllic mix of Australia’s coral coast to the golden outback. From uninterrupted beaches to rich red dirt, rock formations and wildflowers, the region is a unique and vast playground.
There is plenty to do in the Mid West. Here are some of our favourites:
- Get off the beaten track and embark on a gold prospecting and fossicking adventure.
- Follow the 37-kilometre tourist trail leading to Mt Magnet’s town centre, travelling through old and new gold mining sites, Warramboo Hill and ancient granite rock formations.
- Monkey Mia is a must-see for families and nature lovers alike. It’s located on the eastern shore of Peron Peninsula, about 23 kilometres from the town of Denham in the Shark Bay World Heritage Area. Famous for their almost daily ritual of swimming to shore to interact with humans, the dolphins of Monkey Mia attract thousands of visitors to Australia’s Shark Bay region every year.
- Take a hike around Mt Augustus National park to visit the geological giant Mt Augustus. Twice the height of Uluru and towering a whopping 715 meters above the surrounding landscape, Augustus is the biggest rock on earth.
- Take a dive or snorkel in paradise at Ningaloo Reef, the largest fringing coral reef in the world.
- Feed the adrenaline junkie within and partake in one of the many watersports that Geraldton has to offer or keep things mellow with a fishing, diving or snorkeling charter.
- The 122 beautiful Abrolhos Islands are a tropical haven of white sand and aqua waters. Located about 60 kilometres west of Geraldton's coastline, they are a paradise for snorkellers, divers and fishermen and home to the very cute Australian sea lion, as well as more than 90 species of seabird.
- Families with small children will love the Geraldton Foreshore Playground and Water Play Area with an array of nearby cafes that offer a variety of different food styles.
As a registrar, you can gain exposure to a diverse set of skills, including:
- aged care
- alcohol and drug services
- emergency medicine
- mental health
- population health
- Aboriginal health
- skin check
WAGPET currently have accredited practices in Geraldton, Carnarvon, Kalbarri and Northampton.
If you’ve got questions about life and GP training in the Mid West region, reach out to us on 08 9473 8200 or firstname.lastname@example.org.