Positions open now for unique GP training experiences
Learn GP while being a valued part of a multidisciplinary team in Aboriginal health.
Learn GP while being a valued part of a multidisciplinary team, serving the local community in strong consultation with a network of nursing, allied health and specialists staff.
WAGPET is seeking registrars with a passion for Aboriginal health to apply now for 2019 training places. If you would like to find out more about these limited placements, please contact our Aboriginal Health Manager Jodie Ferguson who can provide you with more information.
About Aboriginal Medical Services training
Aboriginal Medical Services (AMS) are dynamic and innovative community organisations skilled in medical, social and emotional well-being and other essential services. AMS staff are passionate and driven to provide the most progressive and flexible services to community.
Registrars who have undertaken an Aboriginal health placement highly recommend the experience, citing the following reasons:
- dedicated and passionate supervisors who are committed to improving Aboriginal health and to teaching you
- exceptional clinical learning with exposure to complex presentations
- extensive learning in chronic disease and mental health management
- opportunities to work within antenatal and child health partnerships
- a chance to explore Western Australia from a unique and valued position
- an opportunity to explore and understand one of the oldest cultures on earth.
As a registrar in an AMS, you will be well supported by both WAPET and the AMS. You will be supervised by highly skilled GP supervisors who will help you to provide integrated, best practice primary health care to the patients of the AMS, in the medical practice and often through outreach programs.
In an AMS, your training will improve the health of Aboriginal communities by improving access to appropriate treatment and health care.
Current Aboriginal Medical Services availability to place registrars in 2019 include:
- Bega Garnbirringu Health Service
- Broome Regional Aboriginal Medical Service
- Derby Aboriginal Health Service
- Geraldton Regional Aboriginal Medical Service
- Kimberley Aboriginal Medical Service
- Mawarnkarra Health Service Aboriginal Corporation
- Ord Valley Aboriginal Health Service
- South West Aboriginal Medical Service
- Wirraka Maya Health Service